POWER STEERING TORQUE SENSORS
Methode has overcome many of the challenges imposed by traditional steering sensors which implement a torsion bar setup. These sensors derive torque through a differential angle measurement through flex or deflection in the steering column. Methode’s magnetoelastic sensor technology allow for a real torque measurement directly on the steering shaft.
The advantages of Methode’s steering torque sensors include:
- A real and direct torque measurement, not estimated.
- An accurate nominal torque measurement while maintaining the required mechanical overload protection.
- High signal to noise performance.
- No flex in the system leading to a more precise and direct steering feel.
- Less mechanical complexity and a reduced packaging space.
- No lifetime or ageing affects, no need for recalibration.
- ASIL system level performance possible.